Home

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Odds and Ends

It's getting cooler here. 
Fall is definitely here and I am trying to get through
all of my painting projects before the weather
 turns too cold and painting
 outside becomes
impossible.
 
The first project was a FREE
 dresser that two of my sisters picked up for me while on a walk.
  Someone was giving it away.....
 
there might have been a reason for that. 
 
 This dresser was almost all particle board and
smelled like cat pee!!!!
The top was a scratched mess.
The metal knobs were rusting.
The drawers were super sticky 
and did I mention
the cat pee?

 
The only good thing was the little scroll at the bottom.
(I'm really trying to see the good here.)
 
 
The smell was so bad that I bought a stain blocker and painted every inch of the drawer and body of the dresser. 
I still didn't feel like that was enough so
 I bought a mistint (a light grey blue)
at the store and painted it again.
Then I painted IT AGIAN in a darker grey.
 
I also let the whole thing bake in the sun for half a day to get rid of the kitty smell.
 
To get rid of the sticky drawers...
a candle.
Rub that on the sliders and they were so smooth to open.
 
 
 
For being a piece of crap,
 (sorry I have to call a spade a spade)
I think it turned out looking great.
I really wanted to do a fake bone inlay pattern
on the flat drawer fronts,
but every time I went to do it I kept hearing the words,
 
"lipstick on a PIG"
 
So I didn't.
 
The sweet couple who bought this loved it, and really with three coats of paint
 and the cleansing power of the sun,
there was no longer any smell and I felt good
 about saving this dresser from the dump.
 
 
On a little side note we finally finished our back entry.
Took out all the old lino and put down a beautiful porcelain tile and finally installed my Christmas presents. 
 
I know...
nothing says I love you more than a front load washer and dryer.
My hubby's quite the romantic.
 
before
 
 after
 
 
 before
(and my father)
 
 
 after
 
 
Next project.
This baby.
THE 70's FIREPLACE.
Don't be jealous she's quite the beauty.
 
 
Can't wait.
 
 linking with
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


9 comments:

  1. I know - paint every brick a different colour. Rainbow fireplace! You know your girls would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I really wanted kitty faces painted on each brick. In memory of the cat PEE dresser, but Chad said, "NO". Next time.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Barb! C'mon Karyn! Spice it up! Haha! Well done with the dresser AND your laundry room looks fantastic! I know there ain't no romance in a washer and dryer, but that really IS true love! You're in there ALL THE TIME, ...so, I would take it and embrace it as true love anyway! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dresser and your laundry room looks beautiful. I would love for you to link this up to my Fall into Fall party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new tile looks fabulous! Thanx for linking up to THT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a saint for saving particle board. Great job

    Peggy @ southscapedesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fantastic job on the cat pee dresser. I also really liked your laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great for being a piece of "crap". Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dresser! Its amazing what some paint and TLC can do to an old piece of furniture! Thank you for stopping by and linking up at Stop, Look, and Link! Hope to see you next week! <3

    ReplyDelete