Home

Friday, January 20, 2012

Chameleon Painting

Well it's been very cold here (-30 C) and instead of facing the cold I decided to stay inside, pull out the paints and do a painting for my little boy's room.  I saw this chameleon on pinterest and was totally inspired to have a chameleon painting in his room.  He sat next to me and painted his own painting all morning and we had a very fun day together.


I thought I would show you some of the stages of the painting.
First is the empty canvas (some days I find it inspiring and others intimidating)


Then I did a quick sketch.


Ripped some paper into strips and "glued" them down with gel medium.


I added some paint on the background and some fiddle heads, mushrooms and leaves on the paper.
(I was loving these on pinterest )


and started painting all the details and stencilling where I felt it needed it.


One more branch and some shadowing and it's done.


It's darker than the real thing and the colours are a little muted but, I was NOT going to go outside for a good photo so I put it as close to a window as possible and stayed nice and warm all day long.

3 comments:

  1. It turned out really cute Karyn! And very inspiring. I seriously have not touched my paints in years and it feels so daunting the thought of taking them out again and trying.... Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The texture in the background is subtle and cool. Me likey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are so talented!! That looks amazing, I adore the colors!

    ReplyDelete